Friday, January 24, 2014

Reckless Reveler

Just out is my second original oil painting for Magic: The Gathering, for the upcoming Born of the Gods set.

This one depicts a Satyr Troublemaker gleefully setting a Trojan horse ablaze...


As usual, I rub charcoal to the back of the drawing and trace down onto a panel.  This panel I gessoed myself again, keeping it smooth and slick as I intentionally wanted the paint so go on a bit uneven to get some "free" texture to the application for the rough wood areas.


Going over the lines so that I can see them through the underpainting... This time using a warmer burnt umber.


Establishing the contexts in acrylic washes allows me to paint quickly, completing one area at a time.


 Rendering background to foreground, right to left...


More rendering...

and more...

The final painting...


It seemed like the first painting I posted (Aerie Worshippers), the collectors were keen to see the object finished rather than cropped close. Here is a shot in the frame.  In fact my final photo didn't look nearly as good as it does in person.  I'm still trying to figure out the best-practices for photographing art, and images that have alot of darks and red tones are particularly problematic.  Its very difficult to do these in oils and learn at the same time, as I essentially have to accept a lower standard of quality for the print image due to all these factors.  Going back to digital art is very compellling...


16x20" oil on panel


1 comment:

GoatyLover said...

It's very beautiful and very fantastic ! CONGRATULATIONS !