Monday, May 20, 2013

Atelier portrait painting workshop day 1

Today was the first day of our portrait painting workshop, taking place at my home studio.  This is the first time I've been able to use the big garage space below my office for an event.  It took a bit of tidying up, but has so far worked perfectly as a teaching space...



The main instruction for the class is being done by Martinho Correia, the former instructor at the famous Angel Academy in Florence, Italy.  We've been friends for quite awhile, and since he stays in Canada a few months a year we decided to hold a class at my place this spring.  Its a great opportunity for this knowledge to come to us rather than having to travel to Italy for classes.


 Day 1 started with an overview of the entire process and a demonstration on how to accurately draw the model from life, using a "Bargue drawing" method of plumb lines and comparative measurements.


The students are drawing on paper first, then transferring their drawings to canvas for later painting.  I sat out day one and worked upstairs a bit on another image that I just started, but thinking again, I might as well jump in on this opportunity and do a painting too.  How often does one get to paint from a live model for an extended period for free and at home??  I'd better jump in on this tomorrow and get caught up!


Everyone's drawings are progressing nicely.  The models are great and the class is running smoothly... fingers crossed for the rest of the week.

1 comment:

Andrea Lane said...

Thanks for posting the Day 1 pics and update. I'm enjoying this workshop immensely and feel like I'm benefiting greatly from Martinho's teaching, and your feedback. Thanks for organizing this, and for your generosity time-wise, space-wise, and answer-wise.
Looking forward to further updates.
Andrea