Sunday, March 13, 2011

More Warcraft art

Here are a couple other World of Warcraft cards I made last year. These were the first 2 I made for Blizzard and it was a learning curve to where I'm currently at.

At this point I probably didn't quite grasp the level of detail and sophistication alot of their card art can have. I still wasn't clear that these card images should be viewed as fully-fledged and "awesome" paintings, even though the final product is a couple inches across.

Did I mention I hate painting transparent glowy things? Anyhow, this gnome was my first card and a lesson in familiarizing me with the franchise with things like gnomes having 4 fingers...




I think I grasped the color schemes and compositional factors easily, and since then its just been minor tweaking and striving for the high quality bar set by the other artists.

1 comment:

Cher Newsome said...

I am in awe of your ability to craft light in the ways you do. I can't stop staring at it! Brilliant work Mike! I am bound to still be your biggest fan!