Friday, February 25, 2011

Warcraft art

I've been lucky enough to find work over the past year making art for the World of Warcraft (WOW) trading card game. It's been fun to work on this franchise, as I really enjoy the designs, colors and action of this world. It was a natural fit for me going from the video game industry to the illustration field where the subject is based on a video game. My natural inclination towards cleanliness and color has finally paid off in getting me work from the world's #1 game franchise.

The trading card game (TCG) field is a huge area for fantasy art. Many of the top illustrators find regular work making art for TCGs. There are tournaments all over the world, and its a great way for companies to expand their creative properties.

Below are a few of the cards I did last year. It's been a learning process for me. Initially I thought I was to make "small art", or basically just a card asset that was less than a full-fledged illustration. What I've come to realize is that the printing is superb quality, the artists top-notch and the expectations lofty. Even though the final product is a couple inches across, you still need to make a great piece of art for possible other promotional purposes. This is great, because you end up with finished work that can be made into prints to sell at conventions. As I have been doing these over the past year I have gradually added more detail, and my latest ones in production are getting close to where I need to be. I look forward to working on WOW for a long time!









7 comments:

James Ryman said...

Lovely work Mike. I bet Blizzard were very pleased with these, you've captured the feel of the world perfectly.

Off the Coast of Utopia said...

Great work! These posts are really great Mike. Would be great to hear more about your transition to freelance artist.

Off the Coast of Utopia said...

In other words GREAT!!

Mike Sass said...

James, you are an inspiration, sir! I look to you as the "gold standard", and would love to learn more about you and your work sometime.

Cher Newsome said...

Mike, You are truly talented, and wish I had followed more in your footsteps after highschool. I am constantly in awe of what you produce with the magic held withing your hands and your tools of illustration....mine have moved on to writing more than drawing...but oh How I miss it so...But I am loving every glimpse i get of what you do.
Luv, Cheryle G

Mike Sass said...

Cher... Nice to hear you are liking the work!

As to your own work, there is no "talent" or "magic"...just practice and search for the proper methods, and you'll be amazed at what you can do. Its just a long, slow road of minute successive improvements based on sticking with it. Most people stop too soon and attribute that to innate ability, which is hogwash!

Kate Stone and David Gluck said...

Love the chicken!