Wednesday, February 16, 2011

New Pathfinder half-pager

Paizo publishing recently released their new pathfinder module "Cult of the Ebon Destroyers", which I have 2 half-page illustrations in.

It was part of an art order where I did 4 half-pagers last fall. Thinking I had the time, I packed many figures into each illustration and had quite complex scenes. In retrospect, I didn't quite finish them up to my standards, as there were just too many elements for my rendered style. I learned alot about doing half-pagers from this job; namely that I had better focus the scope of them if I want to get portfolio pieces. On the other hand, I'll need to adopt a looser style if I want to have so many figures. The experience I gained from this job was to just take a minute and realistically visualize how my idea/sketch will translate into a finished piece, factoring in the making of a bunch of images simultaneously on deadline. Working smarter, and not just harder by picking a good camera angle, editing and concise storytelling will be in mind for the next ones.

This one turned out ok... probably because it had the least figures. Its a character blasting a zombie with her holy symbol as a female ghost comes out of the zombie. I had a bit of an issue making a glowing, transparent ghost... transparent glowy things are really common in fantasy art asssignments, and a pet peeve of mine!

No comments: