Sunday, September 12, 2010

New characters...

I've been away visiting the parents for a few days, but before I left I finished a new character...
Wrend The Vile "is a man seemingly wholly committed to the acquisition of power. Even having gone so far in his youth to sacrifice an eye to the worship of Xarx, believing the physical loss would reward him with greater magical prowess."


For these single characters with straightforward lighting, I don't use any reference, instead I construct the figure comic-book style and build the costuming on top. As I'm finishing I will often take a quick photo for parts that would be hard to invent, such as hands or complex fabric folds...

Today, I did the drawing for the next character... a "Trollblood Druid." This is my usual col-erase pencil on stonehenge "fawn" paper with watercolor and white highlights. For this particular one, I started using a black General's layout pencil to go over the linework for a deeper mark. I was finding the col-erase pencils are too light to get bold line-weight and hatching that stands out. I'm happy with this new pencil and will likely be using it now in addition for more line variety and control...

2 comments:

Nate Peyton said...

Sick dude. I love the little details on Wrend. Especially the scissors of DOOOOOM. Your portraits at your weekly group are great too. I need to find a group like that myself.

Mike Sass said...

Thanks man... portraits tomorrow night again... gotta get psyched up.