Monday, March 1, 2010

sea monster tests and more notes on materials

Did some sea monster studies to try and figure out where I want to take it. The traditional look is like a "sea-dog" with a snout face and fins from the jaw area. I don't think there is any sense in being naive with the design, so I will likely go with the longer, meaner face which helps the curve of the creature as well. This is the look Leighton chose for his 19th century version, which reflect a greater knowledge of animal forms and just looks cool.

I also picked up some brown ink on the weekend. http://www.sennelier.fr/en/inks/history.php
I got the sepia shade (the only color the store had) but I see they have bistre, which is the traditional tone. A couple quick tests with this and I'm clear now on what materials to use and when:
Basically, the ink provides a stronger, more even coverage that doesn't dry lighter as watercolor does, so it's the optimal choice for compositional studies where you want to lay in simple washes to denote shadow and light, without modulation or detail. For rendering or detailed studies, I still refer the watercolor for the subtlety. You want to combine ink washes with an ink line (pen or brush), but the more delicate watercolor can be laid over pencil.

No comments: