Friday, August 28, 2009

marker monster

I've been doing some marker roughs of monsters this week and having alot of fun. I haven't done this in almost 10 years, but I'm finding its a great medium that suits my personal aptitudes towards drawing in tone. I love the chisel shape of the markers and the ability to work fast and loose. I'm working on manilla paper to get the toned ground alowing for highlights. The guy at the art store recommended a product called FW Acrylic artist's ink, which works great for the whites... much better than guache or graphic white.

4 comments:

Kim said...

I like it,
Have a go at the weekly creature
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=167039

Mike Sass said...

hm, thanks for bringing that to my attention. Maybe in a few weeks, I'll look at doing that!

Calydon said...

Love the monsters! Why has it been a decade since you did this kind of drawing/markering? Did painting take up most of your time?

Mike Sass said...

No! more like fiddling with computer game engine graphics. Making screenshots, re-touching digital renders. But now I'm done with that crap and can try to be an artist again.