Sunday, April 19, 2009

Aids to scene construction



One technique I often employ for drawing is to make constructive mannequins of figures to help me visualize 3-dimensional elements in a scene, and make sure they are in proportion, planted to the ground, and believable. When creating art without reference, this is essential so that costumes and props can be made to exist dimensionally and in correct relation to the figures.

Using this procedure, you can also adjust the figures if the art is on layers or sheets of tracing paper, and arrive at a scene that contains a greater degree of pose variety and complexity. If you then go to shoot photo reference for the figures, you can be sure that the poses are reproduceable by real people. The pitfall with this approach is losing the essential gesture of a figure, so make sure that this constructive method is always balanced with a bit of expressive distortion as you proceed.

2 comments:

Dylan said...

I should go back to the basics and study some Andrew Loomis, I really need to learn how to break the figure down and understand it in 3D.

I enjoy going out and drawing people like on the train perhaspe. However when I do this I just try and draw what I see with out any sort of foundation, I just block in shapes with lines with out really understanding what I'm seeing.

Thanks for shareing your thoughts Mike.

-Dylan

Mike Sass said...

both approaches (drawing observed outlines and constructing simple forms) are good for different situations. With a live subject in front of you, its better to draw one way, and with nothing but your imagination, the other can be helpful.